четверг, 19 июля 2012 г.

Interview with Zeki Min (The Driftwood Fairytales, LOOK MUM, NO HANDS!)



Zeki is the singer and guitar player of the German melodic punk band called "The Driftwood Fairytales". If you have't heard this band, check their stuff at Bandcamp! It is totally worth listening! This year Zeki started his acoustic project "LOOK MUM, NO HANDS!" and made a trip to Russia. I was lucky to spend some time with him and he is an absolutely amazing person! We arranged to make this interview when he got home, and now, here it is! I want to thank him for answering my questions and special thanks go to Marina for translating this interview in to Russian in case, if you don't understand English!

Hey, Zeki! How are things going?

Hey Max, I arrived home safe but the weather sucks here in Germany. It was much better in Russia

First off, could you tell what inspired you to perform solo?

Actually, it was the fact that I always wanted to go to Russia! It never really worked out with one of my bands. Then I had these two weeks of holidays and I just asked Dima if he could book a tour just for me, hehe. He could, and thanks to him, LOOK MUM, NO HANDS! was born.

How was the name “Look Mum, No Hands!” created, and what is the idea of such a name?

I just thought it is a funny name, plus you can interpret a lot into it! I just associate a grand time with it. Like when you are young and you just do things without having any concerns or reconsiderations.

What made you go on tour through Russia? What expectations did you have before going here?

I always wanted to come since I’ve heard from other bands how great it is! Bands like Tackleberry who were in Russia 6 or so years ago. Plus, with my bands I toured with bands like What We Feel and Purgen and always heard that the Russian punk kids would love to see more German musicians coming over.

Before going I was really looking forward to meeting a lot of people I only knew through the internet. However, I also had a lot of concerns because of the things you hear. I know that Russia has a big Nazi problem and it would be a lie if I told you that this left me cold before coming to you. Still I thought it will be a great time to do it, especially on my own, only with my great buddy, Aleksey. By the way, a great hug for him right now! 


Did your expectations turn into reality?

I have to say that the weirdest thing maybe was that it wasn’t that weird after all. Of course there are a lot of things that are strange at first, like the long travels in the night trains and the buses, but after getting used to it, it was pretty damn great! Ah, and we didn’t have any problems with Nazis on this tour.


Were the Russian shows a great success? What show did you like best?

As the Russian concerts were my first solo shows, besides one I had done before in Berlin, I was pretty amazed how great it all went! The people were so incredibly grateful and I had the feeling that most of them really liked it. I had tears in my eyes during a lot of the shows. It is really hard to pick one single show as I would depreciate the others and that wouldn’t be fair, as all of them were awesome!
To me it was a unique experience, and I think I am going to carry on playing some solo shows every once in a while.

Are Russian shows highly different from German?

No, they are not exactly different. Yet, I had the feeling the people are more grateful in Russia and I think it is important for you to keep that up!! People in Germany sometimes are just so overfed. Plus, as a musician you can’t drink for free in Russia whereas in Germany you can do that in most places.  I even had to pay for my water a lot of times during the Russian tour. However, the people coming to the shows are more or less the same. By which I mean, kids who are interested in music unlike the mainstream and that still carries a message. The message at least is far more important to me than the genre or the style of the music. Even though I played mostly at punk rock or hardcore shows, I totally had the feeling people understood my music as well.

At every show you played several covers. How do you choose the song for a cover and what is the choice based on?

As I told you it was a tour on short notice and I didn’t have much time to plan anything. I just chose some songs that I really liked and that mean a lot to me. For example, the Rocky Votolato song “Suicide Medicine” was on the first mix tape my girlfriend made for me. It was the first song on that tape, and I didn’t listen to any other songs of it as I played this one on repeat all the time. These are the only I tried, and that’s all I can do. I hope to be able to do some more covers in the future. Maybe I’ll even record some solo stuff. I don’t know, we will see.

Could you tell about the most amazing and unforgettable moment that happened to you on tour?

This is hard because many special things happened like every day. But I always loved it when the people at the shows were singing the songs with me. Especially in Kazan and Perm the people really screamed along to my songs that they have never heard before. It was a truly amazing experience for me and I will never forget that!!

How did you spend your time on the road?

I like to read, but I also slept a lot as it is sometimes exhausting to be on the road. And Aleksey and me talked a lot.

What are your top 5 songs to listen to while being on the road?

I didn’t listen to music a lot while I was on this tour. I preferred reading this time. However, when I listen to music on tour, I choose folk and hip hop music over punk and hardcore. I really love THE AVETT BROTHERS, TRACY CHAPMAN, MUMFORD AND SONS and of course, THE WU TANG CLAN. And that is the absolute truth, buddy!





What general impressions do you have after the tour?

Oh, I really liked the people I met and I hope to be coming back next year, with or without the band. I am happy to be at home, to sleep in my own bed and to have my girlfriend and my dog in my arms again. However, I will be coming back for sure!

What are your future plans as an acoustic performer and what plans does “The Driftwood Fairytales” have?

As it was great fun for me to perform solo, I think I’ll keep that up over here, if I have the opportunity to do it. With THE DRIFTWOOD FAIRYTALES we just finished recording our new album. It is going to be released in September this year. And you are the first to know the name buddy, it will be entitled “PHANTOMS”. It is gonna be quite different from the first one as the folky influence will be much greater than in “TRAILER PARKS AND UNICORNS”. However, it is just what we like at the moment and I think it is going even more into that direction in the future.
As I told you, I don’t really know if I will ever record something solo, but you’re going to be one of the first to know about that. I have two songs that I just played for the Russian tour all on my own. These will maybe be THE DRIFTWOOD FAIRYTALES songs soon, but you never know


Is there anything you’d like to add?

I just like to say thanks to everyone who made this incredible trip possible! And Max, thank you also so much for this interview! I hope to see you all next year!!!

Bless your hearts!
LOOK MUM, NO HANDS! - Zeki


Перевод:


Привет, Цеки! Как дела?


Привет, Макс! Я благополучно добрался до дома, хотя погода здесь не радует. В России было гораздо лучше!

Во-первых, не мог бы ты рассказать, что тебя вдохновило на сольные выступления?

На самом деле, это и было причиной моей поездки в Россию! С другими группами прежде не получалось. У меня был двухнедельный отпуск, и я спросил Диму, сможет ли он сделать мне тур. Он сделал, и, благодаря ему, появился LOOK MUM, NO HANDS!

Как появилось название LOOK MUM, NO HANDS! и что послужило основой для создания этого имени?

Я просто подумал, что это забавное название, к тому же каждый может понять его по-своему! У меня с ним ассоциируется замечательная пора – когда мы были детьми и беззаботно проводили время!

Что заставило тебя поехать в тур по России? Каковы были твои ожидания перед поездкой?

Я всегда хотел поехать в Россию, с тех пор как слышал, что другим группам там понравилось! Такие группы как Tackleberry были в России примерно 6 лет назад. Вдобавок, я ездил в туры с группами What We Feel и Пурген и всегда слышал, что русские панки хотели бы видеть больше немецких музыкантов.
Перед туром я ожидал встреч со многими людьми, с которыми общался только по Интернету. Тем не менее, у меня были кое-какие волнения по поводу того, что в России существует  проблема нацизма, и было бы несправедливо отметить, что меня это не беспокоило. Все же, я думал, что поездка будет отличной, особенно с моим замечательным другом Алексеем. Кстати, большой ему привет!

Твои ожидания оправдались?

Должен отметить, самым странным  было то, что все не было таким странным, как я думал. Конечно, на первый взгляд многое может показаться необычным, как, например, долгие ночные поездки на поезде и автобусе, но привыкнув к такому, это становится даже прекрасным! А, ну и проблем с нацистами тоже не было.

Выступления на Российской сцене имели успех? Какой концерт тебе понравился больше всего?

Сольные концерты в России были моим первым опытом, кроме одного концерта в Берлине, и я был приятно удивлен, как все здорово прошло! Люди были невероятно благодарны, и мне казалось, что большинству из них действительно понравилось. У меня были слезы в глазах на протяжении почти всех своих выступлений. Было бы трудно выделить одно наиболее понравившееся шоу, поскольку я не хочу недооценивать остальные, что было бы несправедливо, ведь они все были просто крутыми!
Для меня это необыкновенный опыт, и я думаю, что буду выступать сольно время от времени.

Сильно ли отличаются российские концерты от концертов в Германии?

Не думаю, что они совсем отличаются. Но, у меня было чувство, что в России люди более благодарны, и вам стоит продолжать в том же духе! В Германии люди просто «зажрались». К тому же, музыканты в России не могут пить за бесплатно, в то время как в Германии это возможно во многих местах. Мне даже приходилось самому покупать воду в течение тура. Тем не менее, люди все же везде одинаковы. Я имею в виду тех, кто заинтересован музыкой вне мейнстрима, той, что несет в себе смысл. Смысл для меня особенно важен, нежели жанр или стиль самой музыки. Хотя я выступал в основном на панк и хардкор шоу, я был уверен, что людям понятна моя музыка.

На каждом концерте ты играл несколько каверов. Как ты выбираешь песню для кавера и на чем основан выбор?

Как я уже сказал, это был внезапный тур, и у меня не было достаточно времени, чтобы что-то планировать. Я просто выбрал те песни, которые мне действительно нравятся и значат очень многое для меня. Например, песня Rocky Votolato Suicide Medicine” была на первом микстейпе, который сделала моя девушка. Это была первая песня, и я все время слушал ее на повторе. Я надеюсь, что в будущем будет больше каверов. Может быть, я и запишу что-нибудь сольно. Посмотрим. 

Расскажи о самом удивительном и незабываемом моменте, произошедшем в туре.

Сложно сказать, потому что каждый день происходило много всего особенного. Но мне всегда нравилось, когда люди пели песни вместе со мной. Особенно в Казани и Перми люди просто орали песни, которые до этого не слышали. Для меня это было по-настоящему круто, и  я никогда этого не забуду!

Как ты проводил  время в дороге?

Мне нравится читать, но также я много спал, так как порой дорога выматывает. И мы с Алексеем много разговаривали.

Назови пять любимых песен, которые тебе нравится слушать в пути.

В туре я слушал не очень много музыки. В это время я больше предпочитаю чтение. Тем не менее, в туре мне больше нравится слушать фолк и хип-хоп, нежели панк и хардкор. Я очень люблю THE AVETT BROTHERS, TRACY CHAPMAN, MUMFORD AND SONS и, конечно же, THE WU TANG CLAN. И это все абсолютная правда!

Какие общие впечатления у тебя сложились после тура?

Мне очень понравились люди, которых я встретил, и я надеюсь вернуться на следующий год, с группой или без. Я счастлив быть дома, спать в своей кровати, быть рядом со своей девушкой и собакой. Но я обязательно вернусь!

Каковы твои планы на будущее в качестве сольного исполнителя, и какие планы у “The Driftwood Fairytales”?

Мне понравилось выступать сольно, и я думаю, что продолжу в том же духе, если будет возможность. С THE DRIFTWOOD FAIRYTALES мы только что завершили запись нового альбома. Он выйдет в сентябре этого года. И ты первый, кто узнает его название, он будет называться “PHANTOMS. Он будет немного отличаться от первого, так как влияние фолка на нем больше чем на “TRAILER PARKS AND UNICORNS”. Но, это то, что нам сейчас нравится, и мы будем придерживаться этого направления в будущем.
Как я уже сказал, я не знаю, запишу ли  что-нибудь сольно, но ты будешь первым, кто об этом узнает. Есть две новые песни, которые я играл только в Российском туре. Возможно, они станут песнями THE DRIFTWOOD FAIRYTALES, но кто знает…

Ты хочешь что-нибудь добавить?

Мне просто хочется выразить благодарность всем, кто сделал эту невероятную поездку возможной! И спасибо тебе, Макс, за интервью! Надеюсь увидеть вас всех в следующем году!!!

Всего хорошего!
LOOK MUM, NO HANDS! - Zeki













Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий